Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day One

Today was the first day of my 10 day unprocessed food challenge. It wasn't as hard as I expected, but I suppose the longer I resist temptation, the hardest it will become. 

I had to forgo my normal gym routine this morning and go to work before class so for breakfast I packed some Fage 0% Greek Yogurt and sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on it. For lunch I ate a whole wheat wrap sandwich filled with turkey, part-skim mozzarella cheese and spinach leaves. On the side I ate some carrots and organic hummus. 

Drinking coffee was perhaps the hardest part of my day. Coffee is something I usually enjoy 1-2 times a day, preferably French Vanilla flavored sugared with Splenda and fat free skim milk. I had to forgo the Splenda, which made the coffee taste more bitter, and less delicious. However, I definitely appreciate the coffee more, sipping it comfortably instead of gulping it down. As my tastebuds have become accustomed to the sugary taste, I'm sure they will acquire a taste for coffee seasoned with only milk. We'll see...

Before my second class I munched on a Gala apple. I just bought a bag of 12 apples from Trader Joe's because they're having a sale since it's my favorite season: Apple season!

On my walk home for dinner, I noticed a woman on the street eating Haagen Dazs ice cream and a student munching on a bag of Sun Chips. I couldn't help but question whether I had made the right decision in going through with this challenge, but I have made a commitment and decided to stick with it. After all, no one said it would be easy!

For dinner I tried something new, and delicious: Quinoa (a seed grain originated from Peru, high in fiber and protein) with black beans and a side spinach salad with carrots, celery and 2 tablespoons of organic fat-free Balsamic Vinaigrette.


I might do some light exercise now before dessert, such as arm weights and ab work. Later, I'll likely have some almonds, an apple or Greek Yogurt. I bought pumpkin so I can't wait to make something delicious with it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment