Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 9

As you may know, tomorrow is the last day of my 10 day pledge to not eat any processed food. I have succeeded thus far and it definitely wasn't as hard as I imagined it to be. Sure, there was temptation but instead of thinking about the immediate satisfaction of eating a cookie, I thought about the long term and how disappointed I'd be the next morning if I gave in.


I have been thinking about what I am going to do after the 10 days is up and I have decided to make long term changes to my diet as a result. For example, I will permanently cut out artificial sugar from my diet such as Splenda. I don't need it anymore. Also, I will avoid drinking sodas including diet because of the aspartame in it. For the most part, I will try to rely on natural snacks to satisfy my hunger instead of boxed chips or crackers. An apple or some almonds are much more satisfying than 15 crackers (the serving size). Because who really eats ONE serving of anything nowadays?


This isn't to say I will deprive myself though. If I want a piece of Halloween candy, I will limit myself to 1 or 2 every other day. A big part of eating is enjoyment and I don't want to make it a punishment like I have in the past because that just leads to bingeing.


Finally, I'll conclude with some exciting news. Today I stepped on the scale and I am the lowest weight I've been in 5 years. I am 143! I feel amazing and have lost a total of 65 pounds. My ultimate goal is 135 but the number isn't as important to me as how I feel. I love the way my clothes fit and how I look in them. I am definitely more interested in fashion and dressing myself nicely because I finally am taking care of myself. My skin is still clear, I'm more energized, more adventurous and overall I wake up happy in the morning.


My weight and confidence has by far been the biggest struggle of my life and I finally feel like I'm on my way to conquering the struggle.


With that said, I will continue this blog to discuss what I eat on a daily basis, how I am feeling and just anything in my life that I want to share and write down.


Thanks to those who read this and support me, it is with your kind words that I am encouraged to continue this journey to a healthier me.

1 comment:

  1. Danielle I am so proud of you (ahh now i really sound like a mom) and proud to say you are my cousin. I can see how much you have grown and I know we havent been close because we are so far apart but reading your blog has connected me more to you and I love it. I am so happy to hear all the choices of have made especially cutting artificial sugar including splenda out of your diet. I truly feel that is worse than sugar. And that you are continuing this a way of life not just a fad diet. You have inspired me and for me to share it with others. Since reading your blog I have really thought about what I eat more than I even have before. Even being a vegetarian it is easy to make poor choices. And especially as a pastry chef I am always making something. BUT moderation is key. Thank you for sharing. I love you and miss you guys. Cant wait to see you. I think you need to come and visit to Florida :)

    ReplyDelete